Maryland Insurance CE Update
Effective October 1, 2013, the 50% limitation on self-study courses has been removed. Producers may now take 100% self-study courses towards their CE compliance.
Previous changes you should also be aware of:
- Effective October 1, 2009 all resident licensees with the exception of Title are required to complete 24 hours of CE for their renewal. Title remains at 16 hours. A 3 hour ethics requirement is also in effect.
- If prior to October 1, 2008, a resident licensee has been consecutively licensed for 25 or more years their continuing education requirement is 8 hours.
The following is an excerpt from the Maryland Insurance Administration’s worksheet on Producer Licensing Renewal:
Resident individual insurance producers holding a major line of authority must complete continuing education in the kind or subdivision of insurance for which they hold a license prior to their license expiration date. Insurance producers must complete 24 credit hours of continuing education.
- Of the required hours of Continuing Education for all resident producers, at least 3 hours shall relate directly to ethics for each renewal period.
- Effective October 1, 2013 an insurance producer may obtain all or part of the credit hours of continuing education required for renewal of a license from correspondence or online courses approved by the Commissioner.
- Correspondence courses for continuing education are acceptable if the course has been approved by the Maryland Insurance Administration.
- A licensed insurance producer who possesses a license to sell property and casualty insurance and who sells flood insurance shall obtain at least 2 hours of continuing education that directly relates to flood insurance.
- A licensed insurance producer who possesses a license to sell health insurance and who sells long-term care insurance shall obtain at least 2 hours of continuing education that directly relates to long-term care insurance.
- Note: Licensed insurance producers who hold the Title line of authority only or licensed insurance producers who hold the Life line of authority only and are licensed as a funeral director or mortician are only required to complete 16 hours of continuing education.
Hours of continuing education for courses taken are reported by the course provider to the MIA’s Continuing Education vendor.
Licensees will be given a Certificate of Course Completion by the CE course provider upon completion of their CE courses. Please retain this Certificate for your records or contact your course provider for a duplicate Certificate. (Do not send to the MIA.) If proof of taking a CE course is needed, you will be contacted for a copy of your certificate(s).
Effective April 11, 2011, individual insurance producer licenses will, upon renewal, be issued to expire on the last day of the insurance producer’s birth month. No insurance producer license will be renewed for less than 2 years while the State converts the applicable licenses to a birth month renewal cycle.
Prometric is the Maryland Insurance Administration’s current vendor for Continuing Education. You may view approved continuing education courses, your continuing education transcript, and other information regarding continuing education by visiting their website, www.prometric.com.
View your license renewal requirements at the Maryland Insurance Administration website.